The RZ-1 A-wing interceptor (also known as the A-Wing Starfighter or simply the A-Wing) was a starfighter used by the Phoenix Squadron. It was the fastest starfighter in the galaxy at the time.
It was an exceptionally difficult ship to fly because it is constantly pushed the limits of performance. The A-Wing was constantly subjected to incredible stresses, and its engines, hull and weapons systems required constant maintenance. Since it was only 9.6 meters long, each ship component was wedged into the cramped hull, and even the lightest hit could cause critical system failures. The pilot was almost totally exposed to enemy fire.
While fast, the A-Wing was fragile and was easily damaged by enemy fire. One hit was often enough to destroy the vessel. A-Wing pilots relied on the ship's blistering speed and their own willingness to take foolish chances to survive in combat.
The A-Wing had two wing-mounted pivoting blaster cannons which could angle sixty degrees up or down. This gave the fighter a far wider field of fire than starfighters with fixed weapon emplacements. Adjustable stabilizer wings assisted in atmospheric flight. The wing control units were tied into the engine's thrust-vector controls, so the wings visibly adjust even in space.
- Star Wars Rebels: The Siege of Lothal (First appearance)
- "The Lost Commanders"
- "Wings of the Master"
- "Stealth Strike"
- "The Future of the Force"
- "A Princess on Lothal"
- "The Protector of Concord Dawn"
- "The Forgotten Droid"
- "The Mystery of Chopper Base"
- "Twilight of the Apprentice"
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- "The Holocrons of Fate"
- "The Antilles Extraction"
- "Iron Squadron"
- The A-wings seen in Star Wars Rebels are based off of Ralph McQuarrie's original concept designs for Return of the Jedi.