| A New Hope Will Emerge...
This article is in need of major updating. Some sections of the page may be in need of newfound info.
- “Star Wars Rebels, set five years before the events of Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope, tells the story of the Rebellion’s beginnings while the Empire spreads tyranny through the galaxy.”
- ―Official description
A feature-length film, titled Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion, premiered prior to the series, on October 3, 2014. Unlike the series, Spark of Rebellion premiered on Disney Channel, as well as an on ABC, which aired an extended cut of the film. Dave Filoni (supervising director of Star Wars: The Clone Wars) returns as Executive Producer and Supervising Director, joined by animation-veterans Simon Kinberg and Greg Weisman.
The series was renewed for a second season on October 2, 2014, prior to its premiere. However, Greg Weisman did not return for the second season, with Henry Gilroy set to replace him. The premiere film of the second season was shown at Star Wars Celebration Anaheim in April 2015. The rest of the season aired starting in October 2015.
A fourth season was later announced to start fall of 2017.
On the planet Lothal, an oppression has fallen over the residents of Capital City, at the hands of the Empire. Among these residents is a force-sensitive 14-year old, named Ezra Bridger. Following the sudden disappearance of his parents, Ezra was left an orphan. Ezra eventually took up residence in an abandoned tower, and resorted to stealing to survive. This thievery extended to the Empire, whom he would occasionally steal helmets from.
One day, Ezra encountered the crew of the Ghost, a group of rebels. The group was led by Kanan Jarrus, a Jedi in hiding. Interested, Ezra watched as the rebels secretly sabotaged an Imperial speeder, before stealing some supplies. Ezra then attempted to steal the supplies for himself, unsuccessfully. Ezra eventually joins the crew of the Ghost, leaving his life as a street rat behind.
It isn't long before Kanan learns of Ezra's force potential. Kanan offers to train Ezra in the ways of the force, to Ezra's approval. Overtime, the Ghost's crew forms the foundation of the Rebellion, striking blows against the Empire. Unfortunately, the rebels are being tracked down by an Imperial ISB agent, named Kallus. In addition to Kallus, the crew is also being pursued by The Inquisitor, also known as the Jedi hunter.
Main Cast and Crew
|Taylor Gray||Ezra Bridger||Main||Main||Main|
|Freddie Prinze, Jr.||Kanan Jarrus||Main||Main||Main|
|Vanessa Marshall||Hera Syndulla||Main||Main||Main|
|Tiya Sircar||Sabine Wren||Main||Main||Main|
|Steven Blum||Garazeb Orrelios||Main||Main||Main|
|David Oyelowo||Agent Kallus||Main||Main||Main|
|James Earl Jones||Darth Vader||Guest||Recurring|
|Jason Isaacs||The Grand Inquisitor||Recurring||Guest|
|Dee Bradley Baker||Kassius Konstantine||Guest||Recurring||Recurring|
|Ashley Eckstein||Ahsoka Tano||Guest||Recurring|
|Keone Young||Jun Sato||Recurring||Recurring|
|Dee Bradley Baker||Captain Rex||Main||Recurring|
|Philip Anthony-Rodriguez||Fifth Brother||Recurring|
|Sarah Michelle Gellar||Seventh Sister||Recurring|
- Dave Filoni as Executive Producer and Supervising Director 
- Greg Weisman as Executive Producer  (Season 1)
- Simon Kinberg as Excecutive Producer 
- Henry Gilroy as Executive Producer  (Season 2-3)
- The series' rebel protagonists are based on Ralph McQuarrie's original concept of the heroes of Star Wars. Several of Ralph McQuarrie's concept art is used in production of the series, (e.g. stormtrooper design, Lasat species design, Chopper's design, etc.).
- The series also makes use of concepts and designs from other branches of the franchise, including ships based on a design seen in Knights of the Old Republic, a lightsaber design that was dropped from The Force Unleashed, and a character design that was dropped from The Force Awakens.
- Rebels takes place between the events of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, and Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, beginning roughly fifteen years after the former and five years before the latter
- Similarly to the original trilogy, Rebels features space dogfights, inspired by World War II events.