Lost on the desert world of Tatooine, Maul was searching for Obi-Wan Kenobi. However, his chances of finding him seemed hopeless, but his overwhelming desire for revenge pressed him on. So he conjured up a plan to lure him out.
Back on Atollon, mostly everyone at Chopper Base was asleep. However, Ezra was woken up by Kenobi's voice. At first he ignored it and tried to go back to sleep. After he heard Kenobi's voice again, he got up and followed the voice to Kanan's room. He traced the sound of Kenobi's voice to the shattered Holocrons. The Jedi Holocron was found playing Kenobi's message, and when Ezra turned his attention to the Sith Holocron he was spooked by the sudden sound of Maul's voice, just as Kanan showed up. The two Jedi spoke with Hera, Sato and Rex about it, and while Ezra believed that Kenobi could be alive and in danger everyone else did not. Ezra wished to journey to Tatooine, but in light of their upcoming attack on Lothal he was denied permission, since he would be needed if they were going to accomplish this mission. Ezra stubbornly tried and tried to convince Hera to let him find Kenobi, but she would not change her mind. The decision had been made, and Ezra reluctantly said no more.
The next day, Phoenix Squadron was busy preparing the A-Wings for battle. Ezra showed up with a large supply of munitions for the fighters. He presented them to one of his fellow Rebels, and while observing the inventory Ezra hijacked the training fighter and flew to Tatooine. Upon arriving, Ezra surprisingly discovered Chopper was with him. Back at the base, Chopper was watching him from afar and somehow stowed away on the fighter. Ezra did not want to bring anyone, but pressed on with finding Kenobi. They descended to the surface, and using pieces from the Jedi Holocron as a compass, they were guided to a rocky part of Tatooine late at night. After landing, Ezra followed the pieces on foot, only to find that it had been guiding him to a piece of the Sith Holocron. Just when he realized they had fallen into a trap set by Maul, Ezra and Chopper were attacked by Tusken Raiders. They destroyed their ship, but then got killed by Maul. With their ship destroyed, Ezra and Chopper were left with no choice but to press on. By morning, Ezra and Chopper made it to the edge of the desert. They decided to head along the ridge, but then Ezra changed his mind when he sensed Maul's presence heading out into the desert. He left Chopper to follow the ridge, but reluctantly followed him. Following the Holocrons, Ezra and Chopper traveled further out into the desert. Eventually they ended up lost, with the hot twin suns beating down on them. Chopper lost power, and Ezra, all tired out, began to regret his decision of coming to Tatooine. He now felt lost and hopeless.
Ezra passed out, just as a mysterious figure came to his rescue, and woke up beside a fire with Chopper fully recharged. On the other side of the fire was Obi-Wan Kenobi. He was already aware of Maul's search for him, and explained to Ezra that everything that he had been hoping for had been a deception. From the beginning, Maul used his desire to do good to deceive him. In doing so, he had manipulated Ezra into coming to Tatooine in the hopes of luring Kenobi out of hiding, which he had accomplished. Just then, Maul himself showed up. Kenobi sent Ezra and Chopper on their way home while he stayed behind to face his former foe. Before making his move to kill him, Maul began to question Kenobi's reason for being on Tatooine all these years. He did not believe that he was just hiding, but more like protecting something or someone. The two enemies drew their Lightsabers and prepared to fight. Maul attacked first, but Kenobi quickly slashed the former Sith lord, while cutting his lightsaber in half. Before dying in his arms, Kenobi revealed to Maul that the one he was protecting was the "Chosen One", whom Maul believed would avenge them both. After nearly thirty years, since the battle of Naboo, the conflict between Maul and Obi-Wan Kenobi was finally over with Maul's death.
Flying Maul's ship, Ezra and Chopper returned to Atollon. Ezra assured everyone that they would have no more troubles with Maul and apologized for running off. He also calls them his family, and says that they should go home. Meanwhile, as the twin suns set on Tatooine, Kenobi watched Luke Skywalker from afar, pondering over the destiny that long awaited him.
- Taylor Gray as Ezra Bridger
- Vanessa Marshall as Hera Syndulla
- Freddie Prinze, Jr. as Kanan Jarrus
- Steven Blum as Garazeb Orrelios
- Stephen Stanton as Obi-Wan Kenobi
- James Arnold Taylor as Obi-Wan Kenobi Hologram
- Sam Witwer as Maul
- Dee Bradley Baker as Captain Rex / Rebel Crewman
- Shelagh Fraser as Aunt Beru (archived audio)
- Maul is killed off in this episode.
- This makes Maul the first major character (though not the first character overall) from the films to die in either The Clone Wars or Rebels. He was believed to have died in The Phantom Menace before The Clone Wars revealed otherwise.
- This episode features the final lightsaber duel in Rebels.
- This is the only appearance of Luke Skywalker in Rebels.
- This episode would have been better if Ezra and Chopper were not even in it and if it was just Darth Maul and Obi-wan.
- This episode loosely adapts the events of Old Wounds, a comic that is considered non-canon (even within Legends continuity). The comic, released shortly before Revenge of the Sith, saw Darth Maul seeking out Obi-Wan after their duel on Naboo, always being one step behind him. After Order 66, Maul tracked him down to Tatooine. The two engaged in a duel, with Kenobi cutting Maul's lightsaber in half and breaking his horns, but before Kenobi could decide whether or not to kill Maul, Owen Lars shot Maul in the face. In Twin Suns, Kenobi uses the phrase "old wound" before his duel with Maul.
- This is the second episode to feature different music during the closing credits, following "The Last Battle".
- As of this episode, The Nightbrother is now under the possession of the rebels, being renamed the Gauntlet.
- When Aunt Beru calls out for Luke, it is the same audio from A New Hope.
- When Obi-Wan first activated his lightsaber, he assumes a similar stance to the one he took during his duel with General Grevious in Revenge of the Sith. He then shifts to the same stance used by his master, Qui-Gon, during their first duel with Darth Maul on Naboo. This causes Maul to attempt to use the same hilt-strike technique he used to kill Qui-Gon on Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan uses this to easily counterattack and kill Maul.
- This is the fifth episode that Sabine hasn't appeared in.
- This is the first episode where Ezra Bridger is shown wearing pajamas.
- This is the first appearance of the planet Tatooine in the Star Wars Rebels, having the planet been featured in a majority of the Star Wars films and appearing in Star Wars: The Clone Wars.
- In an interview with IGN, Filoni revealed that there was originally going to be a scene where Ezra was going to reach the gauntlet and look back at the horizon before leaving and telling Chopper,"it's over", which would've symbolized that that path was over.
- In the same interview, Filoni also mentioned that there were originally going to be scenes that would've shown Hera, Kanan, and Zeb's sides of the story. These scenes would've been about the three adult members of the crew coming to terms with the fact Ezra and Sabine were gone, and that there wasn't anything they could do about it because it's up to them (Ezra and Sabine) to decide who they'll be as they become adults.